Agricultural Census - Farms by farm size and Territorial Authority 2012
Farm: For the purposes of this census a farm is one or more blocks of land, managed as a single operation, that is engaged in agricultural activity. This includes farming of livestock, horticulture, viticulture, nurseries, forestry, growing grain and seed crops, and land that could be used for these purposes.
A hectare is equal to 10,000 square metres or 2.471 acres.
- Figures have been randomly rounded to protect confidentiality. Individual figures may not add up to totals and values for the same data may vary in different tables.
- Area outside territorial authority is included in the North Island total.
For more information on this release: http://www.stats.govt.nz/browse_for_stats/industry_sectors/agriculture-horticulture-forestry/AgriculturalProduction_final_HOTPJun12final/Data%20Quality.aspx
For more information
Limitations of the data
The compulsory registration level for GST is $60,000 so there is a partial and unquantifiable coverage of units below this level.
The Agricultural Production Surveys and Census include all units identified on Statistics New Zealand's Business Frame as having agricultural activity.
The Business Frame is a list of businesses in New Zealand, based on their registration for goods and services tax (GST) with Inland Revenue.
In the case of agriculture the Business Frame includes the following units:
- those units registered for GST (and filing a non-zero GST return) that have indicated involvement in agricultural activity
- those businesses with more than $200,000 of GST sales or purchases, or that are an employer, whose main activity is not agriculture but have indicated some secondary agricultural activity.
Data provided by
Agricultural Census: Farms by farm size and territorial authority 2012
How to find the data
At URL provided, select 'Farms by farm size and territorial authority, at 30 June 2012'
Import & extraction details
File as imported: Agricultural Census: Farms by farm size and territorial authority 2012
From the dataset Agricultural Census: Farms by farm size and territorial authority 2012, this data was extracted:
- Sheet: Farms by farm size and TA
- Provided: 1,120 data points
Dataset originally released on:
May 13, 2013