Institutional sector: Institutional sector is an economic entity that is capable in its own right, of owning assets, incurring liabilities and engaging in economic activities and in transactions with other entities.
Enterprises: A business or service entity operating in New Zealand. It can be a company, partnership, trust, estate, incorporated society, producer board, local or central government organisation, voluntary organisation or self-employed individual.
Employee Count (EC): Employee count is a head-count of all salary and wage earners for the February reference month.
There are a number of limitations associated with business demography data. These limitations include:
- Non-coverage of 'small' enterprises that fall below the economic significance criteria on the Stats NZ's Business Register (BR).
- Lags in recording business births and deaths.
- Difficulties in maintaining industrial and business classifications for smaller firms (that are primarily maintained using administrative data).
Business demography statistics coverage is limited to economically significant enterprises that are engaged in producing goods and services in New Zealand. An enterprise must meet at least one of the following criteria:
- annual expenses or sales subject to GST of more than $30,000
- 12-month rolling mean employee count of greater than three
- part of a group of enterprises
- registered for GST and involved in agriculture or forestry
- over $40,000 of income recorded in the IR10 annual tax return (this includes some units in residential property leasing and rental).
All non-trading or dormant enterprises, as well as enterprises outside New Zealand, are excluded from business demography statistics.
Changes to data collection/processing
Up to 2015 business demography series was based on the Stats NZ Longitudinal Business Frame (LBF).
From 2016 business demography series is based on the Stats NZ Business Register (BR).
From the dataset Business Demography Statistics: Enterprises by institutional sector and employee count size 2021, this data was extracted:
Provided: 1,848 data points
Dataset originally released on:
October 28, 2021
About this dataset
Business demography statistics provide an annual snapshot (at February) of the structure and characteristics of New Zealand businesses. The series covers economically significant enterprises that are engaged in producing goods and services in New Zealand.