The estimated resident population of each ethnic group at 30 June in the census year is based on the census usually resident population counts updated for:
- non-response to the census ethnicity question
- net census undercount (as measured by a post-enumeration survey)
- residents temporarily overseas on census night
- births, deaths and net migration between census night and 30 June
- reconciliation with demographic estimates at the youngest ages.
The estimated resident population is not directly comparable with the census usually resident population count because of these adjustments.
For more detailed information about the methods used to calculate each base population, see http://datainfoplus.stats.govt.nz/Item/nz.govt.stats/1802e0b8-3673-4d51-890c-5f2bed81f0a3#
Individual figures may not sum to stated totals due to rounding.