Tourism expenditure in New Zealand
Year ended March 2000–2022, NZD billions
|Year ended March||
This data includes both domestic and international tourism in New Zealand.
Tourism expenditure measures the value of products purchased by visitors, whether before, during, or after travel.
Value added can be direct or indirect.
- Direct tourism value added measures the value of the output of tourism products by industries, less the value of goods and services used in their production (intermediate consumption).
- Indirect tourism value added is generated from the purchase of goods that are subsequently resold to tourists, or the purchase of goods and services used in producing products that are sold directly to tourists. Producers of these products have no direct relationship with the tourist.
Limitations of the data
Results for the year ended March 2022 are provisional.
Tourism expenditure includes spending by all travellers, whether they are international, resident householders, or business and government travellers. International tourism expenditure includes spending by foreign students studying in New Zealand for less than 12 months.
Changes to data collection/processing
This dataset includes revisions made to both the domestic and international tourism expenditure series. These revisions cause changes to the value of tourism expenditure in the New Zealand economy, and affect the official tourism satellite account (TSA) time series.
Most notably, international visitor expenditure for the years ended March 2021 and 2022 was modelled due to the suspension of the IVS.
Data provided by
Tourism Satellite Account: Tables 1–18 Year ended March 2022
How to find the data
At URL provided, download 'Tourism satellite account: Year ended March 2022 – tables 1–18'.
Import & extraction details
File as imported: Tourism Satellite Account: Tables 1–18 Year ended March 2022
From the dataset Tourism Satellite Account: Tables 1–18 Year ended March 2022, this data was extracted:
- Sheet: Table 1
- Provided: 192 data points
This data forms the table Tourism - Tourism expenditure by component 1999–2022.
Dataset originally released on:
December 19, 2022
About this dataset
The Tourism Satellite Account provides a picture of the role tourism plays in New Zealand, with information on the changing levels and impact of tourism activity. It presents information on tourism's contribution to the New Zealand economy in terms of expenditure and employment.
The data provider develops and publishes the tourism satellite account, using a United Nations World Tourism Organization framework, with funding from the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment.
This is part of a core set of tourism data that provides base information for understanding and monitoring tourism activity in New Zealand. Other elements of the core dataset include a survey of spending by international visitors, regional tourism expenditure estimates, visitor arrival and accommodation statistics, and forecasts of international tourist numbers and expenditure.
Purpose of collection
Satellite accounts are an extension of the core national accounts, and involve rearranging existing information in the national accounts so that an area of particular economic or social importance can be analysed more closely.
A Tourism Satellite Account integrates data about the supply and use of tourism-related goods and services into a single format. It summarises the contribution tourism makes to production and employment, consistent and integrated with New Zealand's official national accounts. This ensures that the importance of the tourism sector is measured and understood in the context of the New Zealand economy as a whole. New Zealand's tourism satellite account (TSA) measures expenditure in New Zealand by both resident and non-resident tourists, and thus gives a picture of the overall size of the tourism industry, including its contribution to gross domestic product (GDP) and employment.
Method of collection/Data provider
Stats NZ puts together tourism account figures on the basis of figures found on a number of other data collections including:
- Export education levy statistics (from the Ministry of Education)
- International Visitor Survey (from MBIE, paused)
- Domestic Travel Survey (MBIE, discontinued)
- Accommodation Survey (discontinued, replaced by Accommodation Data Programme from June 2020)
- Annual Enterprise Survey
- Household Tourism Expenditure Estimates (not publicly available)
- Linked Employer-Employee Data
- National Accounts
- Retail Trade Survey
- Cruise Ship Traveller Statistics
- Survey of English Language Providers (discontinued).