Main means of travel to education for students aged 10-14 in the Western Bay of Plenty District, New Zealand

2018 Census, % of people within age group who are studying

Subject matter

Main means of travel to education is the usual method a person used to travel the longest distance to their school or place of education. The question asked about the type of transport used most often. The census form intended to collect this information for all people studying part time or full time, regardless of age and level.

Response rates and final data sources

Travel to education: The response rate from 2018 Census forms was 84.5%. The remaining 15.5% of responses were imputed. Territorial authority: The response rate from 2018 Census forms was 88.8%. The remaining 11.2% of responses were sourced from administrative records. Admin enumerated records were added to the census file to count people who were missed. Data from the range of sources available in the IDI was used.

Definitions

Census usually resident population count of New Zealand: a count of all people who usually live in and were present in New Zealand on census night. It excludes overseas visitors and New Zealand residents who are temporarily overseas.
Census night population count of New Zealand: a count of all people present in New Zealand on census night. This includes visitors from overseas who are counted on census night but excludes residents who are temporarily overseas on census night.
Dwelling: A dwelling is any building or structure that is used, or intended to be used, for human habitation. There can be more than one dwelling within a building. For example, each apartment in an apartment building is a dwelling.
Household: either one person who usually resides alone, or two or more people who usually reside together and share facilities in a private dwelling. Included are people who were absent on census night but usually live in a particular dwelling and are members of that household, as long as they were reported as being absent on the dwelling form or the household set-up form.
Response 'stated': Members of the subject population (eg. people or dwelling) for which the data was obtained through a census form, administrative sources, or imputed.

Data calculation/treatment

This data has been randomly rounded to protect confidentiality.
Figure.NZ calculated percentages based on the 'Total stated' values for each variable. Individual percentages may not sum to 100% and values for the same data may vary in different tables.

For more information

http://datainfoplus.stats.govt.nz/Item/nz.govt.stats/ca28210f-3fd6-415c-a162-ecc07b4a28b0

Inclusions

Geographically the census includes the North Island, South Island, Stewart Island, and the Chatham Islands, plus largely uninhabited islands including the Kermadec Islands, Three Kings Islands, Mayor Island, Motiti Island, White Island, Moutohora Island, Bounty Islands, Snares Islands, Antipodes Islands, Auckland Islands, and Campbell Island.

Changes to data collection/processing

The 2018 Census was a modernised census based on models used in 2016 by the Canadian and Australian statistical agencies and then applied in the New Zealand context. Stats NZ collaborated with census experts from both countries when designing the model.

Under the new model, how Stats NZ enabled/collected from the respondents changed from predominately field-based activities to 80 percent mail-out with a reduced field presence and increased communications, marketing and engagement. The way respondents completed their forms also changed, with a greater focus on online completion over paper. The majority of the population was encouraged to complete the census online using an internet access code mailed to their households before census night. The new collection model therefore relied on the public to self-respond, rather than wait for a visit from field staff. Field follow-up activities were also planned.

The main areas of change were:
- phasing the model (prepare, enable, remind and visit)
- strategies used across the different phases
- mailing out “call to action” letters with an internet access code and instructions on how to order paper forms, if required, as the first interaction with census
- reducing the number of field staff, with a new structure and roles
- outsourcing the recruitment functions for field staff
- introducing new field technology
- creating a new address frame (a list of all dwellings in New Zealand)
- an integrated communications campaign including community engagement
- a new approach to processing the census data.

Data provided by

Stats NZ

Dataset name

Census: Main means of travel to education by age group and sex, for the census usually resident population count attending, studying, or enrolled in education 2018

Webpage:

http://nzdotstat.stats.govt.nz/WBOS/Index.aspx?DataSetCode=TABLECODE8301#

How to find the data

At the URL provided, customise the selection by choosing 'Total' under 'Sex'. All remaining variables were selected to create this dataset.

Import & extraction details

File as imported: Census: Main means of travel to education by age group and sex, for the census usually resident population count attending, studying, or enrolled in education 2018

From the dataset Census: Main means of travel to education by age group and sex, for the census usually resident population count attending, studying, or enrolled in education 2018, this data was extracted:

  • Sheet: NZ.Stat export
  • Range: D204:AW1193
  • Provided: 34,914 data points

This data forms the table Census - Usually resident census population by main means of travel to education, age group and territorial authority 2018.

About this dataset

The New Zealand Census of Population and Dwellings is the official count of how many people and dwellings there are in New Zealand. It provides a snapshot of our society at a point in time and helps to tell the story of its social and economic change. The 2018 Census, held on Tuesday 6 March, was the 34th New Zealand Census of Population and Dwellings. The first official census was run in 1851, and since 1877 there has been a census every five years, with only four exceptions.

Purpose of collection

Census information is used by government agencies, local authorities, businesses, community organisations, and the public for developing and implementing new policies, research, planning, and decision-making. It helps us make decisions about how to best use public funding, especially in areas of health, education, housing, and transport.
The census is also the primary source of information used for deciding the number of general and Māori electorates, along with data from the corresponding Māori Electoral Option.