Within the no contribution category there are members who are:
· children (under 18 and therefore may not be earning)
· not in work (including retirees)
· on a savings suspension
· receiving accident compensation, benefit, or paid parental leave which are not subject to compulsory deduction
· deceased and the account is not yet closed
· currently overseas
· contributing to other work-based savings schemes.
Provisional members: Members who were automatically enrolled have a provisional period of 8 weeks in which they can decide to opt out.
Enrolment method: the original enrolment method used to join KiwiSaver.
Scheme entry method: the method members have used to enter their current scheme.
Contribution suspension: If you are an active member, you can take a break from saving. This is for employees who want a break from making KiwiSaver contributions from their pay. 'Ordinary' can be granted to any member after 12 months of membership, 'Financial hardship' can be granted earlier for members in financial hardship. Note from April 2019 the suspension duration changed from a maximum of five years to 12 months.
Closed accounts: since July 2012 members may be eligible to withdraw from KiwiSaver due to retirement.
Payments from Inland Revenue to KiwiSaver Scheme Providers: The sum of member and employer contributions plus crown payments (Member tax credit to KiwiSaver + Kick-start + interest), during each financial year. Figures are gross and do not include payments refunded by providers to Inland Revenue, and they don't include KiwiSaver contributions held by Inland Revenue.
KiwiSaver Scheme Transfers: Number of scheme transfers between KiwiSaver schemes each financial year. Figures do NOT include transfers within the provisional period, transfers within complying funds, and transfers as a result of scheme mergers.
KiwiSaver Fund Withdrawals: Funds taken out of KiwiSaver accounts each financial year for either a first home or financial hardship.
Numbers of active/provisional members, contribution holidays, non-active members, closed accounts are as at end of June.
KiwiSaver Scheme Transfers, Fund Withdrawals, and Payments from Inland Revenue to KiwiSaver Scheme Provider relate to each financial year.
KiwiSaver membership numbers include:
- People who are living overseas. Although people based overseas aren’t eligible to join KiwiSaver, people who have joined KiwiSaver while in NZ can remain members, even if they no longer reside here.
- Some people who are deceased. Inland Revenue relies on the deceased member’s KiwiSaver provider to transfer all funds to the member’s estate and notify Inland Revenue. Inland Revenue needs this confirmation before deceased KiwiSaver members are exited from the KiwiSaver scheme, and excluded from the member dataset.
Changes to data collection/processing
From April 2020 KiwiSaver information is reported from a new system.